Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Is make-up (foundation concealer eyeliner etc) really bad if you have moderate acne?

i have a bit of acne and scars and stuff and when i go outside i pile loads of make up on, it does a great job actually but i was wondering does this make acne worse in the long run?


its not actually made mine worse and i use the non-cosmogenic (something like that) which apparently does not block pores





oh and i cant go outside without make up if i have acne its just not an option !!|||I have acne too which I can sometimes keep under control, but I definitely have to wear foundation to cover some of it. You have to watch out what you%26#039;re putting on your face, even if it says %26quot;non-cosmogenic%26quot;. Three ingredients you should definitely watch out for is %26quot;talc%26quot;, %26quot;bismuth oxychloride%26quot;, and %26quot;cornstarch%26quot;. I think the best makeup for you would be all-natural mineral makeup...that is truly ALL NATURAL.


I%26#039;m not sure what brand of makeup you have, but pretty much all of drug-store makeup contains %26quot;talc%26quot;, which is a cheap filler that can clog pores. So if you use Maybelline, Covergirl, or the sort, look for the ingredient %26quot;talc%26quot;, and AVOID this if you have sensitive skin. Also, if you%26#039;re thinking about trying mineral makeup, read all the ingredients carefully and maybe read about what each ingredient does for you. This is how I found out that Bare Minerals contains %26quot;Bismuth oxychloride%26quot; which is NOT natural by any means...it%26#039;s a skin irritant and some people have reactions to this. So that is why I avoid Bare Minerals, even though they claim everything is %26quot;pure%26quot;.





So...I%26#039;ve done a little research myself and I have found some companies that I think would suit your skin...and actually be healthier for your skin. :) I can give you a list of some companies that honestly use all natural ingredients in their foundations, blushes, everything. I will tell you what I thought about each one::





Everyday Minerals - this is what I use (foundation). I use the matte formula to control my oily skin, and their concealer in %26quot;mint%26quot; and %26quot;multi tasking%26quot; to cover acne flare ups. They are super cheap, just as much as drug store makeup, but they only contain 4 inert ingredients. They have over 30 shades of foundation, so you%26#039;re bound to find a perfect match without having to mix two together. They just have a huge variety of colors and shades, it%26#039;s awesome. Their brushes are the softest too. I highly recommend the Flat-Top Kabuki or the Long-Handled Kabuki brushes. They%26#039;ve never shed on me and I%26#039;ve owned them for about 5 months. One thing, though, that I would NOT recommend you buying is Everyday Minerals%26#039; oil-controlling finishing dust/powder. It contains %26quot;Cornstarch%26quot; which can clog pores too. Instead, I buy my oil-controlling powder and primer from other companies. I will talk about that shortly.. (www.everydayminerals.com)





-Signature Minerals - this company doesn%26#039;t have a huge selection of shades, but they use the same ingredients. I personally liked the way Everyday Minerals went on my skin better than Signature Minerals. I couldn%26#039;t find my perfect shade with this company either, but that%26#039;s just me. You can check them out: www.signatureminerals.com





-L.A. Minerals --- okay... I hear really good things about them but I just could NOT get my foundation to match AT ALL, not matter if I mixed together different ones. They don%26#039;t have a huge selection/variety. But I hear their %26quot;Hollywood%26quot; formula is AWESOME for girls with acne. Covers very very well... but I don%26#039;t know because I couldn%26#039;t find my shade. :( But I DO like their oil-controlling powder, in case you needed that. They are all-natural too: www.laminerals.com





-Fyrinnae - this company is pretty new to me, but I hear that their Rice Powder %26quot;primer%26quot; is AMAZING and will hold your makeup all day. I am patiently waiting for this to come in the mail! Also, I hear their oil-controlling powder is great too, it doesn%26#039;t contain cornstarch either. But I hear their foundations aren%26#039;t that great, who knows.. maybe you would like them. Here%26#039;s their website: www.fyrinnae.com





There are probably a few more websites out there that only use like 4 or 5 all-natural ingredients in their makeup, but I HIGHLY recommend Everyday Minerals for foundation. It really does cover well. You just need to make sure to exfoliate your skin every day with a gentle cleanser (I use Dr. Patricia Wexler%26#039;s acne exfoliating cleanser...sold at any Bath and Body Works store) - and then I use an alcohol-free astringent (alcohol increases oil production, so I try to avoid alcohol in my toner), and then finish with Aveeno%26#039;s Ageless Remedies SPF 30 with shittake moisturizer (LOVE THIS STUFF! works really great as a makeup primer!!) - if your skin is well moisturized, your mineral makeup will adhere better and won%26#039;t look caked up. If your skin is oily, you can try out Everyday Minerals %26quot;Silk Dust%26quot; which I%26#039;m using as my mineral primer right now... but I find it a little %26quot;gritty%26quot;, but it still works great. I%26#039;m hoping once Fyrinnae%26#039;s Rice Powder primer comes in the mail that will work even better...so we%26#039;ll see :) Anyways, check out some samples from Everyday Minerals! It%26#039;s like $3 for shipping and you get 5 jars of samples for free. And try to be patient with this..because it IS an online store so it%26#039;s going to take a little patience to find the right shade. I had to go through like 10 shades in foundations before i found my absolute perfect shade. Good luck and have fun with this :-)|||Just make sure that the make-up you buy is oil-free or says %26quot;non-comedogenic%26quot; somewhere on the packaging and it won%26#039;t make your acne worse.





Anyway, I once watched a tv programme where a dermatologist said that most make-up won%26#039;t make your skin worse, and even if it did a tiny bit, the psychological benefit you get from wearing make-up makes it worth it anyway.|||most make up will block pores and irritate acne prone skin - I have had bad acne for as long as I can remember but have found that MAC make up does not irritate my sensitive skin. MAC make up is a tad more expensive but I recommend it for the following reasons -it was designed for flash photography which means that you wont look pale in photos because it does not reflect the flash. In fact this is how I learned about MAC my wedding photographer insisted I have my makeup done by MAC because of its flawless results . it does not cake-up or seep into pores even after hours of wear. it is not tested on animals.





Ps I understand you concerns about your skin but encourage you to also let you skin breath from always wearing make up. Try find your sense of self worth and self acceptance beyound your skin prblems....it really is liberating when acne no longer controls you. You should wear makeup because you choose to not because you feel you have to. Hope you condition improves


PS try MAC honestly you wont look back -even of your current product has you satisfied

No comments:

Post a Comment